The Board supports initiatives to prevent developmental disabilities or to prevent further delays. Early intervention and parent training/support are provided and the Board participates in research, conferences and public awareness activities to support prevention efforts.
What can you do to prevent developmental disabilities? Here are some guidelines:
- Don’t drink alcohol during pregnancy
- Encourage the use of bike helmets
- Don’t abuse drugs, particularly during pregnancy
- Receive good pre and post natal care
- Don’t smoke, particularly during pregnancy
- Be sure children receive the proper immunizations
- Wear safety belts at all times when in cars.