The mission of the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities is to provide programs, services and support for eligible children, adults and their families so individuals with developmental disabilities can live, work, learn and participate in the community.
Eligible persons with developmental disabilities will live, work, learn and participate in the community, to the extent of their abilities, in a safe and healthy manner.
The Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities will be a well managed, financially responsible and stable, public organization providing cost-effective, quality services in partnership with families through a committed and respected staff.
The Franklin County community will be well informed about developmental disabilities, including causes and preventive measures, and will be accepting of individuals who have developmental disabilities.
The Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities believes that individuals who have developmental disabilities and their families have:
- The same basic rights and responsibilities as other citizens of the community.
- The right to develop their abilities to the fullest extent possible and to be involved in determining the supports and services needed.
- The right to be informed of services available in a manner which provides maximum understanding, as well as the right to refuse programs or services.
- The right to participate in the community.
- The right to take reasonable risks.
- The right to be protected from exploitation, abuse and degrading treatment.
- The right to be treated with dignity and respect.
The Board supports initiatives to prevent developmental disabilities or to prevent further delays. Early intervention and parent training/support are provided and the Board participates in research, conferences and public awareness activities to support prevention efforts.
What can you do to prevent developmental disabilities? Here are some guidelines:
- Don’t drink alcohol during pregnancy
- Encourage the use of bike helmets
- Don’t abuse drugs, particularly during pregnancy
- Receive good pre and post natal care
- Don’t smoke, particularly during pregnancy
- Be sure children receive the proper immunizations
- Wear safety belts at all times when in cars.