The Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities operates a county agency providing direct or contracted services on a daily basis. The Board provides educational, employment and support services to children and adults of all ages, who have developmental disabilities.
Services are provided or supported in early childhood programs, schools, ARC Industries Sheltered Workshops, and in a variety of other settings where support is needed. Similar to public schools, most services are provided at no cost and are supported by local, state and federal funds. Services are provided to residents of Franklin County who meet the eligibility requirements.
The Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities is:
- a school system collaborating with all sixteen school districts in Franklin County
- a major employer in the Central Ohio area including employment support of persons with developmental disabilities
- a provider of educational, pre-vocational and support services
- a funder of organizations working to fulfill the mission of the Board
- The Board is comprised of seven members who are appointed by the Franklin County Commissioners or the Probate Judge. The law requires that at least three of the Board members are family members of individuals who either receive, or are eligible to receive, services from the Board. All Board members serve on a voluntary basis with no compensation for their services.
The videos below provide additional details regarding services provided by the Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities.
The eleven minute video provides details on our history, services, eligibility and it gives the viewer a look at some of the programs operated by the Board. (Also available in Spanish)
The four minute video provides an overview of the Board’s services with comments from the Superintendent. This video was produced when the Board was still called the Board of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities.
Select the desired video link or thumbnail image to watch the video.
Each of the above videos has a corresponding transcript below.
FCBDD Agency VideoThis link opens a pdf in a new window.
FCBDD Agency Video-SpanishThis link opens a pdf in a new window.
FCBDD Agency Video-4minThis link opens a pdf in a new window.
The Bill of RightsThis link opens a pdf in a new window.